Happy International Women’s Day from Mitrefinch
This Tuesday, March 8, 2016 is International Women’s Day, a day where a wide variety of organizations join together with initiatives to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women the world over.
International Women’s Day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality, as this year the campaign theme is ‘Pledge for Parity’. Canada has its own unique theme this year, of ‘Women’s Empowerment Leads to Equality’.
In line with this year’s theme, we’ve put together a selection of facts about women and the Canadian workplace;
• The latest statistics show close to 60 per cent of women (just over 8 million) are employed. These figures are double what they were three decades ago.
• According to the World Bank, 40 per cent of the global labour force is female. In Canada, 47.3 per cent of the labour force is female.
• Mothers in two-parent families are more likely to be employed than single mothers
• Women are twice as likely to work part time than men, due to personal choices, personal circumstances and childcare or other responsibilities
• Unionization rates are higher among women, compared to men
• PwC’s report titled, ‘The female millennial: A new era of talent’ found that almost half of female millennials feel their employer is too male-biased when it comes to internal promotions, and more than 70 per cent feel that opportunities are not equal for all
• According to the BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians.
The Mitrefinch time and attendance system has many unique features to assist in managing your complete workforce, and supporting flexible workers. The system features robust, inbuilt reporting capabilities to ensure supervisors always have all the information required at their fingertips.